VET Student Loans
Hunter Valley Aviation is a provider of the Diploma of Aviation course, which you can use VET Student Loans to help fund your aviation training, making it easier to progress and achieve your goal. Ask us about our Diploma of Aviation course for more information.
What is VET Student Loans?
VET Student Loans is a Federal Government scheme which enables eligible students to have all or part of their tuition fees paid for them by the Australian Government in the form of a loan. The loan gives rise to a HELP debt that continues to be a debt due to the Commonwealth until it is repaid.
Part-time and Full-time VET student loans at Hunter Valley Aviation is conducted in conjunction with Basair Aviation College, an approved training organisation to offer VET Student Loans to eligible students.
Eligible students can borrow funds over their lifetime up to the FEE-HELP limit. In 2019 the FEE-HELP limit will be $104,440. There is a loan fee of 20% for full fee-paying students accessing VET Student Loans. This fee will be included in the VET STUDENT LOANS debt.
The loan is re-payed gradually through the pay-as-you-earn (PAYE) tax system once your income is above the minimum repayment threshold, which is set by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). For the 2019 financial year this has been set at $51,957.
Visit https://www.studyassist.gov.au/vet-student-loans/vet-student-loans for more details.
Am I eligible for VET Student Loans?
If you are:
- an Australian citizen, OR
- a qualifying New Zealand citizen (see information about NZ citizen), OR
- a permanent humanitarian visa holder, who is usually resident in Australia.
- Your FEE-HELP balance is more than $0 and is sufficient to cover the amount you wish to access. This means you must not have reached your FEE-HELP limit.
- You are enrolled with an approved course provider in an approved course. Search MySkills for approved courses and approved course providers, and the maximum course caps that apply.
- You have enrolled in accordance with the application requirements (contact your provider to complete an electronic Request for Commonwealth assistance form (eCAF).
- You are studying the approved course primarily at a campus in Australia.
- You have been assessed by your approved course provider as academically suited to undertake the approved course on the basis of either:
- providing your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- providing evidence of successful completion of an Australian Qualifications Framework Certificate IV or higher qualification (where the language of instruction is English); OR
- displaying competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test.
- You meet the Tax File Number (TFN) requirements (if your information is not assessed as correct by the ATO, your application will not be finalised and you will be ineligible for a VET student loan).
- You have a Unique Student Identifier (USI) or are otherwise exempt.
- You have read the VET Student Loans information booklet.
- You have given the required documents to your approved course provider and submitted the loan application form (eCAF) by the first census day no less than two business days after enrolling.
How do I apply for VET Student Loans?
The application for a VET Student Loans is managed as part of your enrolment by Hunter Valley Aviation and Basair Aviation College. As part of the enrolment process, you will need to complete a questionnaire with details that are used to apply for the VET Student Loans on your behalf. Once an application has been made on your behalf, you will need to accept an eCAF from the Department of Education to verify your application for the VET Student Loans